ST Cuthberts Northumberland
St Cuthbert's Cave Walk Instructions
1. Change omitted of car parking and proceed with the track within the mountain signed for St. Cuthbert’s Cave.
Within gate and stile near the top of the track turn appropriate, and stick to the grassy track through gorse, keeping off to the right whilst the course splits.
Head to a gate inside spot of the lumber.
Pass through the gate and after a brief distance turn left to St. Cuthbert’s Cave, the rock outcrop into the clearing forward.
2. As there isn't any exit above the cave, kindly stroll back into the gate when you look at the part of this lumber, switch appropriate and walk uphill alongside the wood to reach a waymarked gate at the top of the mountain, where you might see Holy Island when you look at the length.
3. Move across this gate then the gate on your left, and bear right, after the waymarker articles through the gorse and go downhill to a footbridge with gates on either end.
4. Cross the bridge and go straight ahead, uphill, to a gate. Resume ahead over a slight rise, and shoot for a gate and stile in the remaining region of the gorse covered hill in front. Turn left on the stone track and abide by it toward woodland.
5. Maintain through a gate in to the forestry plantation and get straight ahead along the track. At track junction carry on straight forward, signposted to Holburn.
Continue along this track which in the course of time passes through a gate and bends left.
After a short distance the track bends appropriate, and also this is when you can observe Holburn Lake on your own left.
Keep over the track as it passes below Raven’s Crag.
6. The track passes through a gate, and bends remaining. Resume along this track, which sooner or later turns all the way through a gate, before you reach the termination of the stone wall. Keep the track and change left through a gate within the wall surface.
7. Keep along a grassy road for a quick distance, pass through a gateway, and as the path starts to go kept, bear directly to a little gate into the fence.
8. Have the small gate and downhill along the field side to a material gate within the edge of the woodland. Feel the wood, and also at the following gate carry on right ahead across the edge of the industry, and to a gate on the way.
9. Turn left across the road and abide by it back into Holburn Grange farm. Turn left at the junction and back to the automobile playground, that will be regarding remaining past the cottages.
St. Cuthbert’s Cave is an overhanging outcrop of Sandstone stone, sustained by a remote pillar of stone. It really is reputed the monks of Lindisfarne introduced St. Cuthbert’s human anatomy to this invest AD875 after Viking raids on Island.
In Mid 19th Century the entry ended up being enclosed by a stone-wall and utilized as a ‘lambing shed’.
When possessed by the Leather household, the region had been for a time the household burial-place, being consecrated in 1936. Memorials to family is visible on separated sandstone outcrops.
In 1981 the timber was presented with on National Trust, whom manage it today. (Please admire the area and then leave it as you discovered it)